Traditionally an American dish, made with any innocuous industrial lager, these delicious sausages inna bun are much better when made with a delicious English Bitter.
Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 12 (who are we kidding, serves six hungry people)
- 2 pints ( 40 ounces, 1 litre) of Bitter (or other delicious beer)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced into thin rings
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12 bratwurst
- 12 crusty rolls
Dill pickle spears
- Prepare the grill for a medium-hot fire
- Place the butter in a medium disposable foil roasting pan. Place the pan on the grill rack and cook until the butter melts. Add the onions and garlic (if using); cook until softened, three to five minutes. Add the beer and bring to a simmer.
- Add bratwurst and allow to come back to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes
- Place the pan on the low heat zone and keep the onion mixture warm.
- Remove bratwurst and put them on the grill to brown.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, four to five minutes.
- Transfer the bratwurst back to the onion mixture and let stand until ready to serve.
- With tongs, place the bratwurst in the rolls. Serve with the onions, mustard, and pickle spears.